More "mob justice" attacks in Veeplaas

Two more people have been killed in suspected vigilante attacks in the Veeplaas and Zwide areas of Port Elizabeth.

Though the motive has not been identified, police suspect it was a continuation of last weekend’s spate of suspected mob justice attacks that left two people dead and another critically injured.

This brings the death toll linked to suspected mob justice attacks the last seven days to four, with one person seriously injured.

In the latest incident, the body of Masixole Gama, 29,  was found this morning lying next to the Zwide graveyard close to Ngxongxela Street.

It appears Gama and his friend were attacked by a mob accusing them of committing crime in the area.

“Police responded to a tip-off of a body lying near the bushes. When they arrived, the deceased was found. He had sustained several lacerations to his body and was visibly battered,” police spokesman Captain Andre Beetge said.

“It appears the deceased’s friend managed to escape and was taken to Dora Nginza Hospital for treatment.”

A tyre was found next to Gama’s body, suggesting residents were preparing to torch him.

“At this stage the evidence points to a mob justice incident. However, we are still trying gather details,” Beetge said.

In the second incident, the body of Lubabalo Zenzile, 25, was found this morning near the Saltpans – about a kilometre  away from where Gama’s body had been found.

“He was also beaten and sustained stab wounds to his upper legs near his genitals. At this stage the motive is unknown.

“However, we are looking into whether it is possibly being mob-related,” Beetge said.

Last week, Siphesihle “Tsoli” Kala, 20, and his brother, Anele, 23 – both of whom used several aliases – were killed only hours apart by angry residents who believed they were responsible for a spate of robberies and burglaries in the area.

Phakamile Kwesaba, 33, who also uses a string of aliases, was admitted to hospital with third-degree burns to his body in another unrelated attack last Friday.

The earlier attacks all took place within 3km of each other in the Veeplaas area between last Friday and Sunday afternoon, drawing suspicion  the attacks are all linked.

No arrests have been made in any of the murders.