Shocking MH17 footage emerges
This video, reportedly of Russian-backed rebels rummaging through the luggage of passengers killed after Flight MH17 was shot down, was published on YouTube by News Corp Australia. WARNING: The following content may be disturbing/offensive to some viewers. Australia said Friday it was "sickened" after new footage emerged purportedly of Russian-backed rebels rummaging through the luggage of passengers killed after Flight MH17 was shot down over Ukraine. The video was obtained by Sydney's Daily Telegraph and published exactly a year after the Malaysia Airlines plane was blown out of the sky during a routine flight between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur.
All 298 passengers and crew on board the Boeing 777 were killed, the majority of them Dutch, but with 38 Australian citizens and residents among them.
"It is sickening to watch and 12 months on from the downing of MH17 it is deeply concerning that this footage has emerged now," Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told the Nine Network, without being able to verify the authenticity of the video.
"It is certainly consistent with the intelligence advice that we received 12 months ago, that Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 had been shot down by a surface-to-air missile," she added.
The newspaper claimed the footage, which it said was smuggled out of the fighters' Donetsk base and only obtained this week, was filmed by the rebels themselves as they captured what they initially believed to be a Ukrainian air force fighter jet they had shot down.