Teen awaits fate over fatal beating

Prosecutions director to decide if case will go to trial

A Providentia teen will find out later in October if he will stand trial for the murder of his mother’s 43-year-old ex-fiancé, Robert Schmidt, who was viciously beaten four years ago.
Leon Terblanche, 19, and two of his friends were arrested after Schmidt was killed in the early hours of October 5 2014.
At the time of the attack Terblanche was 16.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) now needs to decide whether Terblanche will stand trial.
Terblanche appeared briefly in the Port Elizabeth regional court on Wednesday and his case was postponed to October 17 for the DPP to make the decision.
It was reported at the time that Schmidt had been assaulted after an argument.
The three youngsters all attended Framesby High School at the time and were aged between 16 and 17.
It is suspected that a fight took place at about 3am after an argument broke out between Schmidt and Terblanche.
An official close to the case, who did not want to be named, said the teenagers had gone to Schmidt’s Genadendal Street home after Terblanche allegedly received a distressed call from his mother, who was living with Schmidt at the time.
An argument allegedly ensued between Schmidt and Terblanche.
It is not clear what the argument was about or what role, if any, the other two teens played in the incident.
All three were arrested shortly after the incident and charged with murder.
Their case was initially heard in the juvenile court, Nerina House. The official also confirmed that the friends would testify against Terblanche should the case go ahead.
Lawyer Alwyn Griebenow confirmed that he was representing Terblanche in the matter.
He also confirmed that the charge of murder had been withdrawn against the other two teenagers by the DPP.
Griebenow said the DPP had to decide whether to continue with the case or not.
He also claimed malicious prosecution by the state.
“There isn’t any evidence of murder against [Terblanche]. He acted in self-defence,” Griebenow said.
Police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu was unable to offer further information on the matter.
She said a new investigating officer had taken over the case after the investigation was finalised.
The new investigating officer did not have insight into information contained in the docket, which was at the court on Wednesday...

This article is reserved for registered HeraldLIVE readers.

Simply register at no cost to proceed. If you've already registered, simply sign in.

Already registered on DispatchLIVE, BusinessLIVE, TimesLIVE or SowetanLIVE? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@heraldlive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

X