Union fears SABC 'purge'
Two key finance officials at the SABC were offered golden handshakes this week in what has been described as a purge of anyone questioning top management.The Times has learned that SABC chief financial controller Petra Campher and financial manager Tian Olivier were handed separation notices on Tuesday. Three sources said Campher's offer came days after she refused to authorise payments without proper paperwork. "She questioned all payments, seeking supporting documents," said one. Campher was offered R2.7-million for the 18 months salary remaining of her contract and was told to pack her bags and hand in her access card, the sources said. The sources said Olivier was offered R8-million. SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago did not respond to questions, saying: "We do not discuss employer-employee issues in public." In a letter sent to Campher on Tuesday, she is informed "that your last working day in service of the SABC will be October 31 2016. "You will also not be required to render any further services with immediate effect." It is understood neither have signed the agreements because they exclude various benefits. Olivier has previously acted as the SABC's chief financial officer, CEO and group executive for risk. He is currently financial manager at the SABC's television licence collection division. He was suspended for five months for allegedly leaking information about a suspect World Cup rugby studio deal championed by Hlaudi Motsoeneng. He was reinstated in August after Broadcasting, Electronic Media & Allied Workers Union obtained an arbitration award in his favour. Bemawu's Hannes du Buisson confirmed he had "received information" about this week's settlement offers to Olivier and Campher. "I'm not prepared to divulge any more details," he said. Du Buisson said the union was "concerned that people who act as gatekeepers in ensuring proper governance are being purged from the system".