Two more injured in gang-related violence



Two people were injured in the latest gang-related shootings in Port Elizabeth’s northern areas.
This comes only days before police minister Bheki Cele is expected to return to the city to address residents on the recent spate of gang violence.
The first shooting happened at about 5.45pm on Thursday when a 25-year-old man was shot in the stomach.
Police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu said the man had been standing at the corner of Burk and Brendon streets in Bloemendal when a Nice Time Boys gang member started shooting at him.
“While trying to flee, the victim was shot and wounded in his stomach,” she said.
At 9.40pm another shooting happened in Imbuia Street in West End, Bethelsdorp, where a 17-year-old youth was shot in the foot.
“He was standing at the side entrance to the garage of a house when an unknown man approached from the adjoining Bakkiesblom Street.
“While approaching, the man started shooting at the teenager,” Naidu said.
“He was wounded in the right foot and taken to hospital while the shooter ran away.”
Naidu said the motive in both cases was unknown but was believed to be gang-related. The Provincial Gang Investigation Unit has taken over both cases of attempted murder.
The shootings come after Cele and national commissioner General Khehla Sitole visited the Bay on Monday to address the recent spate of gang violence and killings.
Cele, who set up a task team to address the gangsterism, is expected in the Bay on Monday to have a meeting with residents about ongoing violence.
Last Monday’s meeting coincided with a separate oversight visit by members of the parliamentary portfolio committee who were also in town to speak to residents.
Portfolio committee chair Francois Beukman said the committee had met residents, community policing forums and various branches of the police to determine what was being done to curb gangsterism.
He said several alarming issues had been raised, including the easy availability of illegal firearms, corruption at police level and how the youth were recruited into gangs.
The residents told Beukman that children as young as 13 were now running gangs.

This article is reserved for registered HeraldLIVE readers.

Simply register at no cost to proceed. If you've already registered, simply sign in.

Already registered on DispatchLIVE, BusinessLIVE, TimesLIVE or SowetanLIVE? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@heraldlive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

X