Child-rape accused in for observation
The man accused of raping a nine-year-old boy has been released from police custody and taken to the Dora Nginza psychiatric ward for observation.
The boy was injured in the incident and has been hospitalised.
Police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge said the alleged rapist, who lives near the boy’s Kwazakhele home, had been taken to Dora Nginza on Thursday.
“The public prosecutor [recommended] that the suspect should be taken to the psychiatric ward in Dora Nginza Hospital as they feel that he might not be fit to stand trial,” Beetge said.
Thuthuzela Care Centre head advocate Linda le Roux said she was working to fasttrack the process
She said: “[The suspect] was referred by district surgeons for evaluation after the doctor found that [he] seemed mentally ill. It is now the duty of the department of health to establish whether the suspect is mentally ill or not and whether he is a risk to himself and those around him.”
She said the man needed to be evaluated to assess whether or not he could stand trial.
This comes after the nineyear-old was savagely raped twice two weeks ago, sustaining serious injuries which affected his ability to walk.
The little boy and his 22year-old sister managed to open a case at the New Brighton police station on Wednesday last week after they were first turned away from both the New Brighton and Kwazakhele police stations.
Neighbour Ayanda Billie, 43, who helped the boy and his sister after the rapes, said he was his surprised by the news.
Billlie said: “[I’m shocked] considering that [the boy] was also admitted to Dora Nginza yesterday.”
The boy was hospitalised on Wednesday evening after he collapsed as a result of a problems with his legs.