Pearson end season strongly

PEARSON finished their winter sporting programme on a high note as they dominated their traditional end-of-season derby against Westering at Pearson at the weekend.

With the hockey matches starting on Friday, it was evident that Pearson were up for the challenge to end the season on a high note. The girls' first hockey team, under the guidance of former SA U18 coach Jeanette Makkie, set the pattern for the derby, ending the season unbeaten in the local schools' league and being ranked fifth in the country according to some sporting websites.

From the outset, Pearson took control of the match, with their strikers in top form.

Ongi Mali started the scoring as she used her speed to take on the Westering defence and at half time Pearson led 4-0.

Westering had three entries into the Pearson circle in the first half but could not convert any opportunities.

The second half was a replica of the first as Pearson gave a good display to win 7-0.

Caitlin Gouws was again in top form, creating chances for the Pearson strikers, while matric pupils Lindsay Biggs, Luzaan Potgieter and Anja van Eeden ended their school hockey careers with fine showings.

ýThe boys' first-team hockey clash got off to a slow start, but Pearson captain Tinus Loots broke the deadlock from a penalty corner and that remained the position to the break.

The teams continued to battle for supremacy in the second half, with neither side able to seize control. In an exciting finish, Pearson held on for the 1-0 victory.

ýOn Saturday, the first-team netball match was delayed due to rain, but eventually Pearson were able to register a comfortable 35-8 victory. The match was one of two halves, with the teams having difficulty in mastering the necessary passing and shooting adaptations due to a blustery wind down and across the court.

The match proved to be a fitting finale to a fine season for Pearson in which they won 27 out of 32 games.

ýThe derby culminated in the first-team rugby match, which Pearson won 64-10 in cold, windy conditions. What started off as a scrappy encounter turned into a spectacle of running rugby with the home side scoring 11 tries to the two by Westering.

The wind made handling difficult but Pearson centre Emile du Plessis sliced open the Westering defence twice within five minutes to put his team on top.

Westering, however, seized their chances to score tries by wing Zaakir Potgieter and centre Sitsaba Sonkosi in the first half.

Pearson regained control with a try by wing Kyle Scott to take the half-time score to 17-10 in their favour.

The second half was a one-sided affair, with the Pearson forwards dominating the breakdown and ensuring quick ball for their exciting young backline.

They ran in a further eight tries in the second half, three of which were converted.

Pearson's tries came from Nkosi Ntebe (2), Duwayne Baartman (2), Emile du Plessis (2), Kyle Scott (2), Luthando Fini, Gorgha Adonisi and Xolisa Matshoba.

Baartman kicked three conversions and Jade de Koning added a penalty.