Second wind for winners

[caption id="attachment_36041" align="alignright" width="250"] CHASE IS ON: Kingswood's Athi Halom is chased by Kyle Groenewald of St Andrew's in the first team hockey clash that kicked off the annual K-Day fixtures[/caption]

ST ANDREW'S produced an impressive second-half comeback to defeat hosts Kingswood 42-28 in the annual K-Day schools rugby fixture in Grahamstown on Saturday.

After scoring the first points through a penalty by fullback Brendan Owen, St Andrew's fell behind when Kingswood centre Cameron Hertz kicked two penalties, the second a 55m monster, to give the home side the lead.

This was followed by a sensational chip and gather from nippy Kingswood scrumhalf Davron Cameron, who off-loaded to Hertz for a try under the posts, increasing their lead to 10 points.

Moments later, Kingswood wing Ezra Mager waltzed down the touchline to score their second for an 18-3 advantage.

Late in the half, Owen floated a pass to St Andrew's wing Grant Dixie, who dived over to make the half-time score 18-8.

St Andrew's came out firing in the second half and a break from centre Thomas Lane ended in lanky lock Hamish Hughes crashing over for their second try. Owen converted to close the gap to 18-15.

St Andrew's smelt blood after Mager was sin-binned and a lineout drive on Kingswood's 5m line resulted in flank Peter Kroon scoring their third try (20-18).

Kingswood reclaimed the lead when Hertz kicked another penalty, but St Andrew's hit back after flyhalf Hugo de la Fargue sent Dixie through for his second try (25-21).

Prop Stephen Cragg scored another try for the visitors which De la Fargue converted and although Kingswood responded with a lineout drive and a try from flank Jeff Theron to narrow the gap to 32-28, two late tries by Robbie Ball and Lane secured the victory for St Andrew's.

ýAt Graeme, the hosts, after being put under pressure in the first 20 minutes, hit back strongly to defeat Union High 54-0.

A mistimed chip by Union was the catalyst needed for the Graeme backline to use their speed out wide, crossing three times to make it 21-0 at the break.

In the second half Graeme scored four more times. The tries were scored by Sethu Pinini (2), Josiah Twum-Boafo (2), Odwa Xona, Aviwe Ntoyanto and Simbulele Sizani.


ST ANDREW'S came back after trailing 1-0 at the break to win the boys' first team hockey encounter 5-1 at City Lords.

Both sides had several chances to score before Kingswood broke the deadlock with their third penalty corner after a good base-line run by Daine Kruger. Athi Halom got a perfect deflection goal to put them in the lead after a well-worked move.

The second half saw an invigorated St Andrew's team showing a lot more intent, taking advantage of some sloppy possession play by Kingswood.

After some good work from Ross Vides, they won a penalty corner and Nick Embling netted.

For much of the second half, both sides had chances which they could not convert and the match remained deadlocked with nine minutes remaining.

St Andrew's then turned the match on its head when some deft touches from Vuyo Ketwa put Chris McCarthy into space, where he needed a brilliant touch to find the net.

Less than a minute later, Vides made his most significant run and brilliantly set up Ketwa for a goal to make it 3-1.

Desperately trying to close the gap, Kingswood pushed numbers up on attack in the dying minutes, only for St Andrew's to counter perfectly to score two more goals through Steven Briscoe. - Brandon Yates