Ithembelihle, Newton in great derby

NEWTON Tech fully deserved their 22-13 victory over Ithembelihle in their schools rugby match played at Newton Tech on Saturday. The occasion was the annual derby day of these schools, along with Linkside High, who took part in tennis, netball, soccer and hockey.

The rugby was played in glorious sunshine and the singing and cheering created a great atmosphere.

The biggest cheer of the day, however, came at half time when the Ithembe first team did a superb rendition of the All Blacks haka.

Newton Tech centre Kurt Lindoor had a fine game, scoring 17 points which came from two tries, two conversions and a penalty.

Hooker Thulani Mjongile added a try.

Others who shone were wing Wildre Otto and props Sive Mazosiwe and Ayabonga Kanana.

Kanana landed badly after a great run and had to be stretchered off, having suffered a serious ankle injury.

Ithembe were competitive throughout but let it slip, conceding two tries late in the game.

They scored two tries by centre Tyson Smondile and prop Zubenathi Sixonxo. Fullback Ayabonga Mteto added a penalty

Scrumhalf Bulelani Jack and flyhalf Simamkele Mcwabeni also had good games for Ithembe.

Kingswood v Dale

KINGSWOOD enjoyed a hotly contested clash with Dale in Grahamstown on Saturday, with Dale managing to convert their chances into points more often to emerge 40-23 winners.

Kingswood were rocked early in the first half with injuries to flyhalf Hayden Potgieter and outside centre Somila Jho. The reshuffled backline struggled to gel and this uncertainty seemed to permeate the side.

Dale opened the scoring when flyhalf Courtney Winnaar, who was magnificent on the day, sliced through the midfield to set up a try out wide.

Kingswood were awarded a series of penalties throughout the half, but Cameron Hertz was unable to convert any of the kicks. Dale scored again midway through the half after poor tackling allowed Winnaar space through the middle again. Kingswood were able to pull back a penalty by Hertz to close out the half at 12-3.

The second half was far more entertaining than the first, with both sides finding more continuity and consequently producing some special rugby.

Kingswood drew first blood when Michael Braans stepped inside and cleverly drew the fullback before offloading to Hertz who went over close to the poles. Unfortunately for Hertz, his bad day with the boot continued as he missed the regulation conversion attempt.

Kingswood had the bit between their teeth and began to exert pressure on Dale. A wonderful break by Davron Cameron was stopped, before Dale were penalised, allowing Hertz to pull Kingswood back to 12-11.

A few minutes later, Kingswood were penalised on their 22, and went to sleep. Dale did not kick for poles, but ran the ball and went over virtually unopposed. They converted to push the score out to 19-11.

However, Kingswood were not finished yet. Devon Barnard broke through and was caught just short of the try-line, but the ball was recycled out to Ezra Mager, who went over in the corner.

Dale bounced back with a try soon afterwards, pulling the Kingswood defence from one side of the field to the other, before going in under the poles. They scored again when their support play enabled them to cross after being stopped short of the line.

Kingswood refused to lie down. Cannon broke and offloaded to Barnard who was brought down short of the line. Fred Burchell picked up the ball from the ruck and strolled over for an easy try. Kingswood were back in the game at 33-23.

But Dale sealed the match in the final seconds when they swooped on a ball that had been coughed up by the Kingswood backline and cantered through to make the final score 40-23.