Tries galore as Brandwag crush Point

IN a high-scoring clash with more than 100 points being scored, Brandwag ran in nine tries for a 66-41 victory over visiting Mossel Bay school Point High in their schools rugby match in Uitenhage on Saturday.

Brandwag flank Morney Moos scored a hat-trick of tries, while his captain Stefan Janse van Vuuren scored two. Centre Helin Pietersen crossed twice for Point.

Brandwag flyhalf Shevaan Hendriks had a fine day with the boot, converting all nine tries despite a strong wind, and also succeeding with a penalty.

The other Brandwag try-scorers were hooker Dandre Delport, fullback Rivan Lemmer, wing Michael Venter and centre Derick du Toit.

Point's other tries were scored by eighth man Xandre Prinsloo, replacement centre Juan van Eyck, lock JP de Koker and flank Luhan Potgieter. Fullback Walter Baartman converted four of Point's tries and succeeded with a penalty.

The half-time score was 45-24 to Brandwag.

KC v Raptors

IN a one-sided fixture in Grahamstown, Kingswood romped to a 75-3 win against the Caltex Raptors in their schools clash on Saturday. The Raptors are a combined team from some of the smaller schools in the East London region.

Kingswood established their domination early through tries by Brian Penicela, Joshua Shelley and Cameron Hertz.

Such was the domination by Kingswood that the Raptors barely saw the ball in the first 15 minutes of the game. Their defence continued to be porous and tries by Somila Jho (3), Daveron Cameron and Michael Braans saw Kingswood fly to a 56-0 half-time lead.

The second half produced more of the same. Mark Webber crashed over for a try, and Shelley completed his hat-trick before the referee called off the contest early.

SAC v Selborne

SELBORNE defeated St Andrew's 28-21 in an exciting schools rugby clash in Grahamstown at the weekend.

After trading penalties, St Andrew's scored the first try through Courtney Archer, who collected a deft cross-kick from Hugo de la Fargue.

Selborne hit back with two tries to take the lead, but Brendan Owen kicked a penalty to make it 15-11 to the visitors at half time.

Another Owen penalty made it 15-14 and St Andrew's poured on the pressure, but mistakes prevented them from going ahead.

Instead, Selborne, through two penalties and a converted try, made it a 28-14 cushion.

But St Andrew's kept fighting and a converted try through Hamish Hughes kept them in the hunt followed by some desperate attacking play.

However, Selborne managed to hold out for a hard-earned victory.