Alex outclass Woodridge

IN a hard-fought and entertaining schools rugby derby match, home side Alexander Road deserved their 12-5 victory over Woodridge on Saturday.

Woodridge played well in patches and enjoyed a territorial advantage throughout the match. However, costly errors meant they could not convert this into points. In fact, their only points came from a try by No 8 Jarryd Olivier right on full time.

Woodridge lock Craig Jessop was superb in the lineouts, while scrumhalf Brandon Phillips and fullback Walter Melville also had good games.

Alex showed great character and team spirit, with No 8 Seth Frieslaar and flyhalf Dylan Walters continuing their excellent form this season. Centre Jesse Johnson also had a good game.

Alex's points came from wings Cameron van Heerden and Lawton van Eck, who each scored a try, with Walters adding a conversion.


EAST London school Zweliyabandile proved just too strong for Alexandria rivals when they beat them 20-9 in their clash in Alex on Friday.

Zweli produced a match-winning second half performance to claim the win after the hosts had dominated most phases in the first half.

Ukhanyo took a narrow 6-5 lead into the second half, thanks to two penalties by flyhalf Sira Ntantiso, while the East London team hit back in the closing stages, when fullback Siyanidumisa Skeyi scored in the corner to reduce the gap to one point.

After half-time the game changed dramatically as Zweli changed their tactics and used their big forwards to dominate play. Their loose forwards, in particular, were prominent and dominated possession to set up tries by left wing Odwa Skade and flank Olwetu Qaca.

Flyhalf Sive Kweya added a conversion and a penalty to make the score 20-6 to the visitors.

In the last minute of the game, Ukhanyo received a penalty which Ntantiso converted to make the final score 20-9.


ST ANDREW'S shrugged off a difficult start in cold and blustery conditions to defeat Cambridge 24-6 in their schools rugby encounter in East London.

Cambridge threw everything at the visitors in the opening stages, but once St Andrew's settled, they ran in two fine tries by Ben Dovey and Peter Kroon.

However, they squandered several opportunities to add to their lead and went into the break leading 14-3.

The second half was a repeat of the first, with St Andrew's making errors which allowed Cambridge to go on to the attack.

They narrowed the gap with a second penalty, but this seemed to wake the St Andrew's side from their slumber as they scored two tries in quick succession through Robert Ball and Brendan Owen to make it 24-6.

Poor handling and a lack of patience on attack cost St Andrew's more scoring chances, while Cambridge also fought hard to keep them at bay.