Forwards lead way for Muir

RIGHT wing Leigh-Angus Nell shone in Muir's emphatic 55-8 victory over Victoria Park in their schools rugby fixture in Uitenhage at the weekend, running in four of their nine tries.

Muir led 22-0 at the break.

Flyhalf Darren Wates crossed the line for Muir's first try after the hosts were rewarded for some hard work by the forwards.

Fullback Ruben de Vos scored the second, while Nell ran in the other two. De Vos added a conversion.

In the second half, Muir continued to cause problems for the VP defence, running in five more tries by Nell (2), inside centre Lunathi Nxele (2) and left wing Nkosi Ntebe. De Vos kicked three conversions.

Victoria Park replied with a try and penalty kick.

Muir's forwards worked well to dominate the set and loose phases, giving their backs momentum and allowing them to use the width of the field.

Alex Rd v Westering

HOME side Alexander Road outscored Westering by two tries to one and fully deserved their 18-7 victory at Alexander Road.

Standing out for the home team were centre Jessie Johnson and flyhalf Dyllan Walters, who both scored tries, while Walters added two penalties and a conversion for a personal tally of 13 points.

No8 Seth Frieslaar was also impressive for Alex, continuing his good form this season.

Westering's try was scored by No8 Jason Lachenicht and converted by flyhalf Malford Damons.

Graeme v W'berg

GRAEME overcame a strong test of character in hot and dry conditions in Fort Beaufort at the weekend when they defeated Winterberg Agricultural 25-18.

The Grahamstown side started slowly, but soon gained ascendancy, scoring a well-worked try by centre Abongile Hashe to take a 5-0 lead. Shortly thereafter, centre Ben Swift increased their lead with a long-range try from a turn-over ball. The try was converted by Hashe to put the visitors 12-0 ahead.

Winterberg kicked a penalty through flyhalf Anton Rogers and then added a converted try by No8 Jason Whitecross to make it 12-10. Hashe, though, was successful with a penalty, giving Graeme a 15-10 lead at half time.

The second half saw Graeme start superbly to score a try from the restart through Hashe, putting them 20-10 ahead. At this stage, Graeme attacked regularly and narrowly failed to score again from the kick-off.

Rogers kicked his second penalty to narrow the gap to 20-13, but Graeme scored a brilliant try through fullback Angelo Frazer, to extend their lead to 25-13. From a penalty, Winterberg crossed for a second try, by No9 Martin Verster, but Graeme showed great composure on defence after conceding several penalties to secure the 25-18 win.