We've got news for you.

Register on HeraldLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

Hawks brought in to search for gunman

Manhunt continues after five killed in shootout during bakery robbery

The manhunt for a gunman who escaped a shootout in which a policeman and four suspects were killed has been taken over by the Hawks.
The Flying Squad’s Constable Dwane Kemp, 31, was shot during an armed robbery inside the Le Bon bakery on the corner of Robson and Rose streets, Central, at about 8.45am on Monday.
Four robbers were also shot dead and three firearms were found near their bodies.
The firearms are being assessed by the ballistics laboratory.
Detectives are still trying to identify two of the robbers who were killed in the shootout while efforts are under way to track down the next-of-kin of the two men whose identities have been established.
While officials confirmed that two of the robbers had been identified, the Hawks remain mum on what is being done to locate a fifth suspect who escaped.
At about midday, provincial police commissioner Lieutenant-General Liziwe Ntshinga went to Kemp’s Port Elizabeth home to visit his family and pay her respects.
Kemp’s wife Candice is pregnant with the couple’s son, due to be born later in 2019.
The media were asked not to interrupt their visit.
Later on Tuesday, about six cars were parked outside.
A man, in his late 40s, said the family would not be speaking to the media yet, referring all questions to the police.
Hawks spokesperson Captain Anelisa Feni said: “the investigation is still at a sensitive stage, therefore we are unable to release information to the public as it may jeopardise the investigation.”
At the time of the shooting, Ntshinga ordered that the 72hour activation plan be implemented in an attempt to catch the escaped suspect.
The activation plan includes the mobilisation of critical resources such as crime intelligence, forensic experts, detective services and tactical teams.
Provincial police spokesperson Brigadier Tembinkosi Kinana said no update on the probe could be given and referred all queries to Feni.
Asked why the Hawks had taken over the case, Kinana said: “The decision to have the case handled by DPCI is part of the policy of the organisation which from time to time is directed by police management as they see it necessary in particular circumstances.”
On Tuesday afternoon, portfolio committee on police chair Francois Beukman sent out a statement saying the committee was disturbed by the continued attacks and murders of police officers.
“The continuing shameless maiming of our police officers cannot continue unabated as it represents a direct attack on the rule of law.
“Also, the devastating effects it has on families of these officers is often untold but life-changing.”
He said the committee extended its heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the slain officer.

FREE TO READ | Just register if you’re new, or sign in.

Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@heraldlive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.