Angry mob killed wrong man - say police



The man who was beaten to death by an angry mob after being accused of raping a seven-year-old girl was innocent, police say.
Mava Fundakubi, 52, was killed near his house in De Vos Crescent in Shukushukuma, Motherwell, on Saturday night.
The murder stems from a 7-year-old girl living in the same street as Fundakubi alleging that she had been raped by him. The minor allegedly led an angry mob to Fundakubi.
Police have since issued a warning to residents to not take the law into their own hands – as innocent people are being killed.
Police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge said that the examiner’s report revealed that the girl had not been raped or molested.
“After consultation with doctors and the girl, it was found that she was not sexually assaulted at all. The reason for the claims is now being investigated,” he said.
Asked why the residents thought Fundakubi had been involved, Beetge said that it was unknown.
“The killing happened when the mother had taken the daughter to hospital. What triggered the community to target him is still being investigated,” he said.
“The suspicion that he raped her is proven to be false and detectives are now looking into a possible ulterior motive.”
Beetge added that interviews with the family and girl did not reveal why they suspected Fundakubi.
Asked about the ulterior motive, Beetge said that it is subject to investigation and that all avenues as to why he was attacked were being looked into.
A man claiming to be Fundakubi brother said that they shocked by the attack.
“We don’t know why they did it. The community is very angry with them. We want to know why. They got the wrong person,” the man said.
Motherwell Cluster Commander, Major General Dawie Rabie said that this murder was proof that vigilante justice kills innocent people.
“It appears that this man was innocent but was killed because the community jumped to conclusions. We again appeal to residents to not take the law into their own hands,” he said.
“We are now looking for those who killed an innocent man and they will stand trial for his murder.”
The murder probe is still underway.

This article is reserved for registered HeraldLIVE readers.

Simply register at no cost to proceed. If you've already registered, simply sign in.

Already registered on DispatchLIVE, BusinessLIVE, TimesLIVE or SowetanLIVE? Sign in with the same details.



Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@heraldlive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.

X