Two metro officials robbed 15 minutes apart

Municipal security official robbed shortly after a municipal water distribution supervisor was held at gunpoint

A Nelson Mandela Bay municipal water distribution supervisor and an armed security official were robbed in two separate incidents about 15 minutes apart on Monday.
This comes two weeks after municipal workers said they were under siege and pleaded with residents to back off and stop attacking them as they try to fix electrical faults and water leaks.
On Monday, a Nelson Mandela Bay municipal security official was robbed of his firearm in the Kwadwesi area.
Just 15 minutes earlier, a water distribution supervisor was also robbed – only two streets away.
The first incident happened at 11:45am when two men stopped a water distribution employee driving in Pendlagard Street in Kwadwesi.
Police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge said the official was doing routine checks on the water pipes in the area when two men jumped in front of the municipal van and waved him down.
“As he stopped, one of the men pointed a firearm at him and demanded his firearm. The official explained that he did not have a weapon. The two suspects then forced him out of the vehicle and searched him. They stole his wallet and two cellphones before fleeing on foot,” Beetge said.
Within 15 minutes of the attack, a municipal security official who was patrolling Shope Street – only two streets away from Pendlagard Street – was robbed by the same men.
“He was also driving a branded municipal vehicle when the men stood in the middle of the road and pointed a firearm at him. They ordered the driver to stop and forced him out of the vehicle at gun point,” Beetge said.
“They then stole his state firearm as well as his wallet.”
The two thieves then fled on foot.
Two weeks ago, safety and security executive director advocate Keith Meyer said security officials had been assigned to escort the workers following a series of incidents where staff have been attacked or robbed while attending to calls.
Meyer said that in some incidents, attackers used firearms or knives and threatened to kill the workers.
Beetge said it was believed both incidents involved the same suspects.
“Detectives are following up leads and are hoping to track down and arrest the culprits soon,” he added.
Two cases of armed robbery are under investigation.

FREE TO READ | Just register if you’re new, or sign in.

Questions or problems? Email or call 0860 52 52 00.