We've got news for you.

Register on HeraldLIVE at no cost to receive newsletters, read exclusive articles & more.
Register now

WATCH │Video clip of PE robbery

The incident came to light shortly after a 33 second CCTV video clip of the attack emerged

Video footage emerged of what appears to be an attempted hijacking or robbery at a traffic circle in New Brighton.
The incident came to light shortly after a 33-second CCTV video clip of the attack emerged at about midday.
The attack happened at about 9:30am on Monday outside Brighton Square at the intersection of Ferguson Road and Sheya Kulati Drive in New Brighton.
Police yesterday confirmed they had been informed of the incident but due to no case being opened, the investigation had not yet been launched.
On the footage, you see three men approach the white pickup truck from separate corners as the vehicle slows down at the traffic circle.
As the car comes to a stop, a man runs up to the driver’s side and opens the door – as the truck is about to drive off.
The driver of the vehicle is seen slamming on brakes while the attackers lean into the truck.
At the same time, another attacker – who approaches from the side – jumps in front of the truck as it stops.
During the incident, the driver of the truck is seen fighting with the attacker before jumping out and running away.

One of the attackers gives chase down the road while the other two ransack the truck – which is standing abandoned at the traffic circle.
Cars drive past while the one attacker grabs items from the truck, slams the door and then runs away.
It remains unclear if the driver of the truck ran away with the keys, forcing the three attackers to leave the truck.
Police spokesman Captain Andre Beetge said that they were only alerted to the incident on Monday, outside the New Brighton SUPERSPAR.
“A man claiming to be the owner of the vehicle came to police claiming that the incident happened at 9:30am on Monday. He showed CCTV footage and then said that the driver would be coming to the police station to open a case,” he said.
By Tuesday afternoon, no case had been opened. “At this stage, we do not know much but according to the person who came to the police station, the driver returned to the vehicle five minutes later and drove off.”
Beetge said that it was unclear if it was a robbery or hijacking.
“We are aware of incidents in the area where suspects are targeting cars or trucks that have stopped.”
Another employee at the centre confirmed the incident saying that it was a common occurrence and not worth doing a story on.
A security official, who works at the centre but declined to be named for his safety, said that the incident happened on Monday morning.
The official declined to provide further information but confirmed that the cameras belonged to the centre and the incident was spotted by CCTV operators.
“There have been several attacks in that area.
“Staff are robbed almost daily at that intersection,” he said.
The man said that the driver of the vehicle returned minutes later and sped off.
Asked why they did not intervene, the official said that they alerted the police...

FREE TO READ | Just register if you’re new, or sign in.

Questions or problems? Email helpdesk@heraldlive.co.za or call 0860 52 52 00.