Cops probing kidnap hoax
Prank led to police resources being wasted
PORT Elizabeth police are trawling social media websites in an attempt to track down the person responsible for spreading rumours about an abduction in the city’s northern areas on Monday.
There was mass hysteria in Helenvale as a massive manhunt was launched for the alleged victim, believed to be a primary schoolgirl who had been grabbed by a man and taken into the nearby bushes.
Police spokesman Warrant Officer Alwin Labans said yesterday those responsible for fuelling the frenzy by posting false information on social media would be held responsible.
He said they had identified one of two individuals who had posted incorrect information – most likely obtained from listening in on illegal police scanners – on social media.
For the full story read The Herald, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our .