‘Enhance the bride’s own beauty’
ONE of The Herald Boardwalk Bridal Fair’s impressive prizes this year is a couture designer wedding dress worth R10 000. Gerhard Meiring of Gerhard Meiring Couture, who is sponsoring this year’s winning bride, says every bride needs to stay true to her individuality.
“When it comes to body shapes every bride needs to get a designer who will be honest with her when it comes to their her unique body shape. A designer should be honest enough to make the best of the bride’s own beauty,” said Meiring. “It’s good to try on a few styles, to see whether what they picture will work or not, and then take it from there. “Don’t wear a style or colour just because you think it is in fashion. Wear what makes you look like the best and most beautiful version of yourself.
“Be sure your dress is comfortable and fun to wear. You don’t want to worry the whole evening, and not enjoy the party. It’s a celebration; make sure your dress allows you to celebrate this big day.
“White is always popular, but there is a big trend of going for earthy tones, and gold, to add luxury.
“Raw silks are beautiful in getting a natural feeling across, but still keeping it very luxurious.” Meiring said a few of this year’s trends are:
- Short: this style is very flirty and fun, with emphasis on having a dress to party the night away in.
- Volume : wide fairy tale dresses will never go out of style, and it is such an opulent style, that the appeal is here to stay.
- Traditional: with the 20-year celebration of democracy this month, there’s a need to pay special attention to traditional styles of wedding attire. Brides should be given more gorgeous traditional options than merely putting on a shweshwe or African print fabric to make her traditional wedding day special.
- Feathers: this trend has feathers added from anything from head gear, to hemlines, and everything in between to add luxury and a sense of individualism.
- Sleek and modern: for the more pared-down bride, this trend offers the option of a very sleek, sophisticated style and perfect for more mature brides.