The Herald requires a young and highly motivated journalist to take up a position as general reporter.
POSITION: Junior reporter
REPORTING TO: News editor
LOCATION : Port Elizabeth
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES / OUTCOMES
- Must have at least 1-3 years news reporting experience.
- Must have excellent command of the English language, both in its spoken and written forms.
- Must have a driver’s licence.
- A relevant tertiary qualification would be an advantage.
- Must be able to work independently, be self-motivated and confident.
- Must be able to write reports which are objective, well-balanced, well-written, easy to understand and comprehensive. They must also adhere to the regulations of the Press Code.
- Must keep digital platforms up to date with breaking stories and be able to file clean online copy on tight deadlines. Should be at ease generating multimedia content.
- Will be required to establish a relevant, comprehensive and up-to-date contact base.
- Attend after-hours events and work weekends or public holidays when required.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- A thorough knowledge of journalistic ethics and practices.
- Excellent interviewing, writing, reporting and story idea-generation skills
- Excellent news and feature writing skills
- Strong interpersonal and fact-checking skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Willingness to go the extra mile.
To start: Soonest
CV’s should be addressed to the HR Department:
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date : 3 March 2017
Times Media is an Affirmative Action Employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organization. Kindly take note that if we do not respond to you in the next 21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.