Read the fine print

Sharfaa Williams from Gelvandale wrote: With all of the recent rain we have had, my cars’s electronics just stopped working. When I called my insurance they told me I am not covered for water damage. But to my understanding I have been paying for comprehensive cover. How do I ensure that I get the insurance to cover my expenses?
The particular clauses of the contract would have to be examined as insurance contracts are very specific and even though the term “comprehensive” is used, it does not mean any eventuality is covered. For instance, an electronic problem might be viewed by the insurers as natural wear, and tear not to mention that the insurers might contest the issue of the exact causes as alleged by the client as being damage caused by recent rains. A client can ask for reasons in writing, and if the client is not happy the matter can be taken up with a lawyer, and/or referred to the insurance industry ombudsman.
Glen Marias from Sanctor wrote: A colleague and I recently discovered that our employer had not been paying UIF for the past four years that we have been employed by him. Now the company is on the verge of bankruptcy and he wants to relieve us of our duties without any payout. How do we go about claiming funds which are rightfully ours?
Employers are obliged to register employees for UIF and contacting the UIF to find out what support might be available can be considered. Any settlement offer from the employer should be considered in the context of what might have been due in terms of a normal redundancy package. Consulting a labour lawyer is always advisable in these matters.
Contact the Legal Aid South Africa toll free Advice Line on 0800-110 -110

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.