Businesses from home

OUR office is receiving more and more complaints from residents about people running businesses from home.
Although they are permitted to do so they have to apply for the property to be rezoned, or obtain special consent from the municipality in certain circumstances. This is simply to protect the abutting neighbours.
Everyone is trying to make a living and I believe in “letting the sun shine on everyone”, but you must comply with the law. There are rules and regulations that one has to adhere to otherwise we will face a lawless metro with negative consequences for our residents.
When someone reports a possible illegal business to my office, it is my responsibility to forward same to the relevant officials who need to take the necessary steps.
If it is established that the business is illegal then a first notice is issued requesting them to cease the operations. After 30 days a follow-up inspection will be conducted and if there is no change a final notice will be issued. If this is also ignored, the municipality will proceed by instituting legal action against the offender. Unfortunately the process is time-consuming because the municipality has to follow a prescribed procedure.
It is my duty as ward councillor to monitor the complaint until it has been resolved.

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.