Sundowns taste victory in Polokwane as Chiefs settle for draw

Second-half strikes from Percy Tau and Khama Billiat saw Mamelodi Sundowns beat Polokwane City 2-0 in their Absa Premiership encounter at the New Peter Mokaba Stadium last night.

Although the first 10 minutes of the match was a cagey affair, the hosts were kept under pressure by the league champions as goalkeeper George Chigova was kept busy in his box.

In the 17th minute, the Brazilians were awarded a set-piece and defender Tebogo Langerman’s effort went inches wide of Chigova’s left corner.

Kennedy Mweene was a spectator in the first 20 minutes until Puleng Tlolane’s 24th- minute strike which was collected by the Zambian net minder.

Pitso Mosimane was a disappointed man as his side failed to grab the lead despite enjoying the ball possession. It was 0-0 at half time. As early as the 48th minute, Sibusiso Vilakazi was set free on the left flank and made a dangerous entry into the penalty box only for Chigova to produce a fine save.

In the 55th minute, the defending champions broke the deadlock through Tau when he blasted home following a wonderful cross from Thapelo Morena.

Luc Eymael’s side lacked their combinations in the middle of the park, but Mweene stood firm as they resorted to long-range efforts.

With nine minutes to go, Billiat made it 2-0 following a beautiful combination with Tau, whose cross found the Zimbabwean unmarked in the box.

Despite their efforts to pull one back, the Citizens did not have a good game on the day and the Tshwane side walked away with their first three points in the 2016-17 campaign.

Kaizer Chiefs were held to a goalless draw by Baroka FC in a game played at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban.

The draw took Amakhosi to position two on the league standings, while Bakgaga slipped to 10th.

Despite late attacks from both sides in the dying minutes of the game, they were unable to find the winning goal.

Free State Stars and Ajax Cape Town played out a 1-1 draw in their clash at Goble Park in Bethlehem last night.

The result of the early kickoff – which saw the Urban Warriors claim the lead through Bantu Mzwakali before Goodman Dlamini equalised for Ea Lla Koto – means both teams are still searching for their first league wins of the 2016-17 season.

After a few early half chances at either end of the field, it was Ajax who took control of the game and claimed the lead midway through the first half.

Prince Nxumalo was brought down just outside the box by Davis Nkausu and the visitors were awarded a free kick.

Mzwakali scored direct from the dead-ball situation, putting the Urban Warriors 1-0 up.

Stars looked for a quick response through attacker Moeketsi Sekola, but his efforts around the half-hour mark were either wide of the mark or saved by Ajax keeper Jody February.

The last chance of the first half went the way of Stars’ attack-minded defender Nyiko Mobbie, but the impressive youngster put his header over the crossbar to leave the hosts trailing at the break.

Yet Ajax’s lead lasted just four minutes into the second half, with Dlamini getting the better of February to make it 1-1.

Ajax nearly reclaimed the lead midway through the second half when Mosa Lebusa got on the end of a corner kick, but his header was stopped by Thela Ngobeni.

Stars will be in action this weekend when they face Kaizer Chiefs in the Telkom Knockout quarterfinals, while Ajax will only return to the pitch on November 19 when they face Maritzburg United. Other PSL games: Golden Arrows 0 Platinum Stars 1; Cape Town City 1 Bloemfontein Celtic 0; Martizburg United 1 Highlands Park 1.

Leave a Reply