Tiger Woods announces indefinite leave from PGA tour


Tiger Woods will take an indefinite leave from the PGA Tour, the golfer said Tuesday on his website.

The decision follows a poor stretch of tournament results for Woods, who withdrew from an event in San Diego last week with a back injury.

He shot the worst round of his professional career in January, an 11-over-par 82 in the second round of the Phoenix Open.

“Right now, I need a lot of work on my game,” Woods said in a statement posted to his web site, TigerWoods.com.

“My play, and scores, are not acceptable for tournament golf.”

Woods left open the possibility of playing The Honda Classic near his hometown in Florida in two weeks, but he added: “I won’t be there unless my game is tournament-ready.”

Although a long-term absence from competitive golf is possible, Woods said he “expect[s] to be playing again very soon.”

The Masters, the first major tournament of 2015, which Woods has won four times, begins on April 9.

Woods has 14 major titles in his career. He has long expressed a desire to surpass Jack Nicklaus’s record of 18 major championships.


Leave a Reply