Double dynamite geared up for glory

DOUBLES TROUBLE: Keith Davids, left, and Benny Donley will be back to defend their title in the Wembley Men's Doubles tennis tournament next month. Picture: EUGENE COETZEE
DOUBLES TROUBLE: Keith Davids, left, and Benny Donley will be back to defend their title in the Wembley Men’s Doubles tennis tournament next month. Picture: EUGENE COETZEE

CHAMPIONS Keith Davids and Benny Donley are among the early entries for the third Wembley Men’s Doubles tennis tournament, which will be played at PE Club on June 7.

Last year, Davids and Donley won a keenly contested final when they edged Ian Pattinson and Francois Conradie 6-4 in the one-set decider, and they will again be among the frontrunners for the title.

From a low-key beginning, the Wembley tournament has experienced massive growth and in only their second year last year, the entry jumped to 70 players. To accommodate the big entry, the Wembley organisers used PE Club and this year, with 13 courts available, tournament director Gavin Cullen said they should be able to cater for 78 players.

“We are encouraging players to enter early because it is a case of first come, first served,” Cullen said yesterday, “and last year some people entered too late and weren’t able to play.

“Players can enter with a partner, but we will try to find anyone partners if needed.

“This is a well-sponsored tournament and will be supported with quality prizes and good value for your money.”

The entry fee is R75 a player and entries close on May 30. For inquiries, Cullen can be contacted at 079-528-4444. – Neale Emslie

 

Leave a Reply