Dominant first half sets Muir up for victory

GOING DOWN: Pearson's Tiaan Gerber is caught in possession by St Andrew's players Thomas Lane, left, and Benjamin Dovey in their clash at Pearson at the weekend. St Andrew's won 35-0. Picture: FREDLIN ADRIAAN
GOING DOWN: Pearson’s Tiaan Gerber is caught in possession by St Andrew’s players Thomas Lane, left, and Benjamin Dovey in their clash at Pearson at the weekend. St Andrew’s won 35-0. Picture: FREDLIN ADRIAAN

MUIR registered a solid 33-12 win over traditional rivals Union High in their schools rugby match in Uitenhage at the weekend.

Always a hard battle, this time Muir took control in the first half and led 21-7 at the break.

The Graaff-Reinet team, however, were first to score when some poor decision-making by Muir allowed Union to go 7-0 ahead through a try by Michael Dry, converted by Tagon Jackson.

Muir quickly settled down, playing to their strengths and structures, and this allowed outside centre Mihlali Nobomvu to cross for a try, converted by flyhalf Abongile Sonjica.

Nobomvu was instrumental in Muir’s second try after he forced a turnover, kicked behind the defence and saw scrumhalf Yomelela Keswa collect the loose ball to dot down. Sonjica added the conversion to make it 14-7.

Left wing Xolela Daniels crossed over for the third try in the half when Sonjica drew his opposite number and sent his teammate through.

The second half saw both sides defend extremely well and not give each other an inch. Both sides ran the ball as if they had nothing to lose in a perfect example of how schoolboy rugby should be played.

Muir No8 Mihlali Mosi crossed for their fourth try of the day when he picked up at the base of a scrum and showed the Union defence a clean pair of heels.

Captain and centre Lunathi Nxele sealed victory for Muir, dotting down under the crossbar for Sonjica to add his fourth conversion.

Union tried hard until the final whistle, being rewarded with a second try by Kwesi Ansa.

Muir’s forwards played well as a unit, laying the platform for the backs. Lock Ancel Velkers and flank Mzi Goba stood out.

Graeme v Gill

Graeme overcame the heat and a fired-up Gill team to defeat the hosts 27-17 in Somerset East.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks with a well-executed set move from the back line, resulting in a try by the centre Ciko Ngodwane. This was followed up by some good forward play which allowed both Xandré Vos and Ryan Calitz to score under the poles.

Gill’s back line looked dangerous throughout the match and, after some good phases, the ball was distributed wide for Robin Sammy to outstrip the Graeme defence for their first points.

In the second half, Graeme College extended the 17-5 lead when some good tactical kicking by scrumhalf Siphosethu Pinini saw Josiah Twum-Boafo dribble the ball over the line to dot down.

Gill threw everything at Graeme in the last 10 minutes and managed to cross the line twice through Sammy and Francois Jordaan to make the final score 27-17.


Leave a Reply