Gardens crush Buffaloes in try stampede

Mkhululi Ndamase

GARDENS ran in nine tries to humiliate Buffaloes 57-7 in a one-sided Eastern Cape Super 12 club rugby encounter in Rosedale at the weekend.

The dominant performance ensures that Gardens progress to the quarterfinals as Group A winners and they will now face the last qualifying team in the other group.

Just as they have done all along in this campaign, Gardens attacked from first to last whistle and comfortably led 28-7 after 40 minutes.

The second half was not any different as they continued where they left off and further increased their lead to run away with the game.

At the Zwide Stadium, African Bombers also secured a place in the last eight by beating Walter Sisulu University (WSU) 23-15.

Both sides went into the clash standing a good chance of going through to the next round as the third best team, to avoid meeting Progress in the quarterfinals.

But it was the hosts who secured the position.

Bombers took a slim 16-15 halftime lead. In the second half, Bombers rose to the occasion and clinched victory with a converted try after WSU were punished for their lack of concentration.

It might not have been pretty in Group B in Queenstown, but champions Harlequins dug deep to narrowly edge a spirited Old Collegians 28-26 and secure a place in the last eight.

Quins, who have been far from convincing this season, were made to sweat for the victory as the hosts were determined to spoil the party and claim their first victory.

Collegians started the Group B encounter well and led 18-12 at the break. With the backing of their supporters who came out in numbers, Collegians continued where they left off and increased their lead. But like a phoenix rising from the ashes, Quins showed their experience and managed to come from behind and clinch a hard-fought victory.

At the Police Park in Cambridge, East London Police beat Caltex Crusaders 24-14.

But despite the disappointing result, the Port Elizabeth side progressed to the knockout stage.

Police showed their intentions early in the game and went to the interval leading 17-0.

Saders pushed forward, trying to get back in the game.

But last year’s bronze medallists added more points and ensured they finished as group runners-up.


Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.