Soccer drama as ref gets punched

Mogan Segadavan

THERE was drama in the SAB League at the NU9 Stadium on Saturday when the match between Royal Bucks and Peace United was abandoned with less than 10 minutes remaining after the referee was assaulted by a Bucks player.

With the match at 2-2 and heading for a draw, United were awarded an own-area freekick. When Bucks player Sithembele Ruda protested excessively he was shown a yellow card by referee Siyabonga Ngxamazi. The player then continued to abuse the referee and was shown a second yellow card which meant an automatic dismissal.

Ruda then apparently punched the referee in the face before players and officials intervened. Ngxamazi was not badly injured.

But Safa-NMB president Mzimkhulu Fina was outraged at the incident.

“We will wait for the referee’s report and follow due procedure. However, we will show no mercy to any player who raises a hand to a match official – he faces a long wait on the sidelines,” he said.

“If a striker misses an easy goal or a goalkeeper makes a mistake, his coach does not run up to punch him. Referees are also human and can make mistakes but hooliganism will not be tolerated.”

Meanwhile, the top three teams continue their neck-and-neck race for the championships.

Subs extended their 100% record to seven matches and, remarkably, goalkeeper Lwando Nkholo is yet to concede a goal.

The log leaders beat Sunrise Development 3-0.

Ludwe Sonjica gave Subs an early lead from well outside the area early in the game. Before the break Vuyisani Masumpa made the score 2-0 from another long-range drive. Ludwe Maid netted the final goal late in the game.

Callies, who trail Subs by two points, beat Island City 3-1 after leading 2-0 at the break.

Luvuyo Bika, Orenthal Jordaan and Zaaid Dolley scored for Callies. The recent Safa-NMB Inter-district player of the tournament, Simphiwe Molonie, pulled one back for City with the last kick of the match.

Lion City humiliated Hotspurs in their own backyard when they thrashed the Schauder outfit 3-0 at the Moredyke field.

After a disappointing run in recent weeks, Fairview Rovers beat Motherwell Academy 2-1.

Results: Motherwell Academy 1 Fairview Rovers 2, Despatch Pioneers 1 Camper United 1, Subs 3 Sunrise Development 0, Island City 1 Callies 3, Highland Spurs 2 Showvillage United 1, Hotspurs 0 Lion City 3

Leave a Reply