NMMU put Walter Sisulu to the sword

Mkhululi Ndamase

NMMU ran in seven tries against Walter Sisulu University (WSU) to claim an emphatic 45-12 win in a one-sided intervasity rugby clash at the south campus at the weekend.

As expected the hosts, who are fresh from a successful EP Grand Challenge campaign, dominated throughout the game.

It only took NMMU’s fullback Yamkela Ngam three minutes to open the scoring with an unconverted try.

The visitors got back in the game and led for the first and last time after a well-worked try by their flyhalf Danny Benjamini. Inside centre Bongani Zwane converted.

From there, it was all NMMU, who camped inside WSU’s half. The first half proved to be a two-man show, with speedy wing Mayibuye Ndwandwa and reliable flyhalf Ruan Zorba Allerston scoring four first-half tries between them. Ndwandwa scored three, while the latter crossed once and added the conversions.

NMMU led 33-7 at the break.

The second half proved to be a different story as the visitors managed to keep the strong and physically dominant NMMU side at bay.

After spending most of the second half in WSU’s half, NMMU finally managed to score a further two tries.

NMMU had to play with 14 men after prop Francois Coetzer was yellow- carded for a dangerous tackle.

Big lock Hannes Huisamen scored NMMU’s first second half points when he bulldozed his way through for an unconverted try.

The home side’s eighth man, Marius Oosthuizen, and inside centre Billy van Lill carried the ball well and were good under the high ball.

Van Lill’s penetrative runs finally earned him a try in the 60th minute. Allersten, who was one of the outstanding players, easily slotted the conversion.

WSU wing Sive Mbembe scored his side’s only second half points with an unconverted try.

Rhodes v Fort Hare

IN a more competitive encounter, Rhodes beat Fort Hare 28-14. Rhodes announced their intentions early on and led 13-0 after 20 minutes. Fullback Taf Chieokwindo scored an unconverted try and a penalty, and prop Uvatera Ngatjizeko added a second try.

Fort Hare, who made too many handling errors and opted to kick for touch instead of taking goalable penalties, finally managed to get on the scoreboard when eighth man Jerome Williams scored a try. Fullback Khanyiso Komani converted.

After the break, Rhodes went further ahead when flank Rick Moolman scored a try. Wing Ryan Dewey converted. Fort Hare hit back with a try of their own, courtesy of Ntyatyambo Mkhafu, with Komani converting.

Chieokwindo added the last nail to Fort Hare’s coffin with a further eight points, getting a penalty and a tryafter hard work by Dan Gluckman.

Leave a Reply