Union High prevail

Alvin Reeves and Mkhululi Ndamase

UNION High recovered from a slow start to beat Westering 18-10 in a hard-fought schools rugby match at Westering High on Saturday. Trailing 10-6 at half time, two second-half tries secured an impressive victory on the road for the Graaff-Reinet side.

Union left wing Ace Mali had a strong game, scoring 13 points via a try, two penalties and a conversion.

Westering were promising at the start and got off to a flying 10-0 start within the first 10 minutes.

There was short-lived early dominance in the scrums by Westering and flyhalf Malford Damens kicked a third-minute penalty which resulted after some good pressure.

Five minutes later centre Lyle Draghoender sliced through the Union midfield to score untouched. Damens was successful with the conversion.

Mali replied with two penalties to narrow the gap before the half-time break.

Union used their slippery backs to good effect in the second half and almost directly after the restart fullback Kanyile Chutu joined the line and scored a fine try after a sniping solo run.

Six minutes later, the Westering backs were duped by Mali who came off his wing to slide between the halfbacks to score his team’s second try. He converted to complete an impressive comeback by the visitors.

JOHN Walton High edged Molly Blackburn 7-0 in front of their home crowd in KwaNobuhle in a schools rugby clash on Friday.

The visitors’ speedy wing Dyllan Steenkamp rounded the opponents early in the first half to score a try. Fullback Llewelyn Lewis converted. No further points were scored during the game.

After the break, Molly Blackburn came back strongly and threw everything they had at their opponents, but John Walton stood their ground to claim the victory.

IN Uitenhage, Otto du Plessis beat Uitenhage High 12-3 in closely contested encounter.

Otto du Plessis used their strong forwards well as they went to the break leading 12-0.

The second half saw the Uitenhage High boys come back more determined but were undone by mistakes and poor decisionmaking at crucial stages.

The home side finally scored a consolation penalty late in the game, but it was a little too late for a comeback.

ITHEMBELIHLE went down 18-7 to Nathaniel Nyaluza on Saturday.

Ithembelihle had many chances to score but were their own worst enemies as they made too many handling errors.

The long-kicking, up-and-under game tactics worked well for the home side as they gained territory.

Flank Diva Busakwe scored Ithembelihle’s only try, converted by wing Ayabonga Mteto.

BERTRAM High cancelled their game against Humansdorp because of transport problems. They were meant to travel to Humansdorp.

Leave a Reply