Grey hold on to beat off tough challenge from Cape visitors

Mkhululi Ndamase and Henk Steenkamp

ACCURATE kicking and good defending proved to be the difference when Grey High narrowly edged Paul Roos Gymnasium 23-18 in their schools rugby derby at Grey at the weekend.

While Grey’s young flyhalf Curwin Bosch slotted 13 points with his reliable boot, the visitors used three different kickers, with all of them missing routine kicks.

Grey announced their intentions early on, with Bosch just missing a drop goal in the fifth minute.

But he soon made amends when he kicked a penalty in the 10th minute.

Paul Roos wing Joel Heugh levelled matters with a penalty, but the first try came courtesy of Grey’s inside centre Vincient Moss after a good spell of play from the hosts in the 15th minute.

Bosch added the conversion.

In the 20th minute, Bosch added a another penalty, but Paul Roos hit back through a try by Christo van der Merwe after the ball was recycled.

The try seemed to inject confidence in the visitors and they almost crossed again, only for Grey wing Dylan Vermaak to tackle Pieter Rossouw as he dived for the line.

However, Paul Roos did cross for a second try before Grey No8 Bathandwa Cafu who had a good game, increased their lead with a try after a driving maul. Bosch converted to give Grey a 20-13 halftime lead.

The second half started with the visitors attacking strongly but two missed penalties cost them dearly.

Grey’s first second half attack resulted in a penalty in the 44th minute which Bosch slotted easily.

The visitors had more ball and territory in the second half and camped inside Grey’s half.

But their poor kicking let them down.

Paul Roos hooker Lohan Louw, who was a thorn in Grey’s flesh throughout the game, dived over for a consolation try in the 69th minute.

Brandwag v Muir

BRANDWAG outmuscled Muir with a 40-3 victory at Brandwag in Uitenhage.

A constant drizzle made handling difficult for both sides but Brandwag managed to score six tries.

Scrumhalf Brandon O’Neill opened the scoring for Brandwag with a try converted by flyhalf Malcolm Jaer, before Muir kicked a penalty by by fullback Ruben de Vos.

Brandwag flank Morne Moos scored the second try and left wing Elroy Adams the third. Jaer converted both to make it 21-3 at half time.

In the second half, Brandwag ran in three more tries scored by lock Stefan Janse van Vuuren, eighth man and captain Elandre van der Merwe and right wing Lezo Fortuin.

Framesby v DP

A FINE display by their forwards, backed up by a brilliant Ernst Stapelberg at flyhalf, secured a 30-11 victory for Framesby over Daniel Pienaar at Framesby.

Framesby led 27-6 at halftime, but DP came back well to score the only try of the second half.

The Framesby forwards lay the foundation for the victory with good scrumming and lineout work.

Visser Smit (hooker), Roche van Zyl (prop) and Anru Botha (lock) were outstanding. Stapelberg controlled matters with good decision-making and fine tactical kicking. He converted his team’s three tries and added three penalties.

The DP forwards were outplayed but their backline showed how dangerous they can be with limited possession when Liaan Barnard (fullback) scored a try.

DFM v Alex Road

AT DF Malherbe, the home side won a titanic battle 13-10 against Alexander Road on a very wet field.

The two sides were evenly matched and they both scored two tries. Ruan van den Heever was the hero of DF Malherbe when he landed a penalty to clinch the victory.

Leave a Reply