Schools rugby feast

Mkhululi Ndamase and Neale Emslie

NDZONDELELO senior team beat David Livingstone 17-8 in a fiercely contested SA Rugby Coca-Cola regional final at Dan Qeqe Stadium in Zwide on Friday.

Ndzondelelo were the first to register points in the 10th minute with a try by Phumlani Makisi. The ever-reliable flyhalf, Ayanda Hanabe, easily converted.

David Livingstone piled on the pressure and were rewarded with an unconverted try and a penalty, but a 30th-minute try by speedy wing Senzo Enkosi – which Hanabe converted – left David Livingstone trailing 14-8 at the break.

In the second half, Ndzondelelo failed to find the gaps and had to settle for one penalty by Hanabe to secure victory.

In the first semifinal Solomon Mahlangu arrived late, which meant David Livingstone automatically qualified for the final.

In what should have been an exciting second semifinal between Ithembelihle and Ndzondelelo, Ithembelihle were disqualified for failing to produce players’ birth certificates and ID books.

In other u-19 clashes, Lwazilwethu beat Kwamagxaki 12-6, while Kwezi Lomso needed a penalty to beat Lungisa 8-5.

In the u-14 final, Ndzondelelo proved too strong for David Livingstone, beating them 13-0. The same teams also contested the u-16 final, with Ndzondelelo humiliating David Livingstone 26-3.

David Livingstone, Solomon Mahlangu, Ithembelihle and Ndzondelelo’s u-14, u-16 and u-19 teams each received rugby playing kits for being invited to the tournament.

Ndzondelelo’s head coach, Thembekile Mtaba, said they were disappointed by what archrivals Ithembelihle did.

“They did the same thing in the FNB competition. This is killing township sport,” he said.

The tournament’s marketing officer, Dan Ngcape, said attendance was very good and they were satisfied with how everything went.

ýMeanwhile, Grey High withstood a strong second half comeback by Framesby to win a rousing schools rugby match at Grey on Saturday.

The home team rediscovered their winning touch with the 35-29 result, but Framesby never gave in and had the final say with a converted try in the last minute.

Although the Philip field was still muddy from last weekend’s rain, the teams produced some thrilling rugby, with both being prepared to run with the ball.

In other games, Daniel Pienaar completed an unbeaten season against local opposition when they claimed a 29-19 (halftime 22-9) victory over Marlow in an entertaining schools rugby match in Cradock on Saturday.

The Uitenhage school scored four tries to one as their backs displayed fine hands to run the ball beautifully.

Marlow kept themselves in contention with penalties but were no match for a slick Daniel Pienaar side. It was, however, very even upfront.

Daniel Pienaar’s tries were scored by right-wing Bevan Davidson (2), lock Ray Williams and left-wing Darren Wright. Davidson kicked three conversions and one penalty.

Leave a Reply