Nadal ruthless at start of Aussie Open

RAFA Nadal opened his hotly anticipated Australian Open campaign yesterday with the ruthless dispatch of an ailing Brazilian journeyman, setting the tone for a day of pitifully one-sided contests at Melbourne Park.
 A second Australian Open title would make Nadal the first man in more than four decades to hold the quartet of grand slam titles at the same time, and his first step was taken with single-minded purpose.
 Brazilian Marcos Daniel mustered just 12 points in 46 minutes before he decided his injured left knee, and possibly his pride, could take no more and he called an end to the contest with Nadal leading 6-0 5-0.
 The world No1 knows very well the pain of injury, having hobbled out of Melbourne Park in the quarter-finals when his own knees gave up on him last year, and he was full of sympathy for his opponent, aged 32.
 “He tried his best during the match,” said the Spanish top seed. “He didn’t want to retire. That says a lot for him. Not everybody’s able to do this.” – Reuters
Click here for more on this story in our e-Edition on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply

Please keep in mind that comments are moderated according to our comment moderation policy. Your email address is required but will not be published.