ANC given conference ultimatum

Oscar Mabuyane

Party’s Eastern Cape region ordered to convene elective sitting by month end

The ANC in the Eastern Cape has been given until the end of the month to convene its provincial elective conference following an ultimatum from the party’s National Working Committee (NWC).

The ultimatum was given to all provincial secretaries across the country that no conference would be allowed to take place after September 30.

But ANC Eastern Cape secretary Oscar Mabuyane said it was all systems go for the conference in East London on September 28.

Branches were also given until this Sunday to conclude general meetings as well as solve any outstanding disputes.

The conference was meant to take place last month, but was postponed after it emerged dozens of disputes were yet to be resolved.

“We don’t have a choice but to convene the conference on the set date. Come September 28 the conference is going ahead,” Mabuyane said.

“We were told that after September 30 attention would be given to the national conference. We don’t see any stumbling block now, we have sorted out and we have attended to almost every aspect in detail.”

Mabuyane said all branch general meetings (BGM) were also in the process of being concluded. “BGMs are still continuing, all those that couldn’t successfully convene are also taking place, but the real cut-off date is on Sunday.

“All people have been given the chance to try to conclude their BGMs. If they don’t sit before September 10, they can forget it,” he said. Mabuyane said the province was more than 70% ready for the conference.

He said the province was awaiting a preliminary verification report on Monday before the national team returned to do a preregistration for the conference. The conference has seen some snags, including the forging of signatures at some BGMs.

Eastern Cape lawyer Mvuzo Notyesi gave the ANC an ultimatum late last month to shelve the conference or face another court challenge. But Mabuyane said this would not affect the upcoming conference.

Notyesi asked ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe to shelve the conference, or disqualify the five OR Tambo regional leaders as delegates, pending an Mthatha High Court ruling on the matter. The matter will be heard in the Mthatha High Court on Thursday next week.

Leave a Reply