DA decides against Luthuli House march after threats of violence

The DA has amended the route of a planned march to the ANC headquarters after threats of violence.

The DA announced the march on Luthuli House in Johannesburg after President Jacob Zuma’s controversial cabinet reshuffle last week.

The aim is to urge the ANC to support a vote of no confidence in parliament against Zuma. If such a vote succeeds‚ it would force Zuma and his entire cabinet to resign.

IFP leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi on Tuesday warned the DA that marching on Luthuli House would be seen as a provocative act by ANC members.

The DA said that it had reconsidered the route after a meeting with police.

“Following a meeting held this morning with members of the South African Police Service (SAPS)‚ we have been informed that the SAPS will be unable to protect our marchers and ensure their safety from threats of violence from the ANC. Numerous threats of violence have been received from the ANC’s Youth League‚ as well as certain branches within the ANC‚” the DA said in a statement released on Tuesday.

“Therefore in order to ensure a safe‚ inclusive and non-partisan march which caters for all South Africans‚ the DA has taken a decision to amend the route and gathering point of our March for Change this Friday 7 April 2017.”

The party said the March for Change would now begin at the Westgate Transport Hub at 10am on Friday and end at Mary Fitzgerald Square in downtown Johannesburg.

3 thoughts on “DA decides against Luthuli House march after threats of violence

  • April 5, 2017 at 9:12 pm
    Permalink

    I am concerned that will there be any harm on vehicles? Thinking about tourist that they may have flights on Friday.

    Reply
  • April 5, 2017 at 10:25 am
    Permalink

    although I cannot be there in body, I will be there in thought and prayer. ZUMA MUST GO>

    Reply

Leave a Reply