DA to push ahead with high court challenge to ICC exit

Undeterred by its failure in the Constitutional Court‚ the Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will forge ahead with its high court challenge against government’s decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

The DA said its legal team will push that its application be heard on an urgent basis by the high court in Pretoria before the end of the month.

Earlier this week‚ the Constitutional Court dismissed the DA’s application for direct access to the court. The court said it was not in the interests of justice for it to deal with the matter at this stage.

The DA had launched this urgent application after International Relations and Cooperation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane signed an “instrument of withdrawal” from the ICC on October 20.

Justice Minister Michael Masutha also confirmed that a bill would be tabled before parliament‚ proposing the repeal of the local law which enjoins South Africa to arrest people who are wanted by the ICC for genocide‚ crimes against humanity and war crimes.

However‚ the DA said it had launched substantively the same papers in both the Constitutional Court and the high court in Pretoria on October 24.

“The High Court must hear and determine this application on an urgent basis‚” the DA said in a statement.

The DA said the intention to leave the ICC contradicted South Africa’s commitment to international justice and human rights.
banner-adnew

Leave a Reply