By-elections could be held in several ANC wards in Nelson Mandela Bay after a probe by the party’s Eastern Cape deputy chairman, Sakhumzi Somyo, found that the processes of electing councillor candidates had been flawed.
Ward councillors were summoned to the ANC’s regional headquarters at Florence Matomela House on Thursday and told that a commission led by Somyo had recommended that some councillors resign and the candidate selection process be restarted.
Weekend Post understands that four ward councillors would have to step down.
They are: Zoliswa Dlula (Ward 27), Xola Tyali (Ward 28) Nomazwi Sonti (Ward 33), and Nomsa Booi (Ward 44).
Should they decide to step down, or if they are fired by the ANC, by-elections would have to be held.
While this will not have an impact on the coalition government, it could decrease the ANC’s seats in the council if they lose any of the wards through a by-election.
Insiders said more councillors could be asked to step down at a later stage, as the ANC tries to resolve its list debacle which led to several protests before the August 3 elections.
For the full story read Weekend Post, or get the complete newspaper, including comics, classifieds, crosswords and back editions in our e-Edition.