Two Bay by-elections to be held in November

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) will hold by-elections in a number of wards in the Eastern Cape on November 9.

One is for Ward 4 (Walmer Township) in Nelson Mandela Bay after ANC candidate Nceba Dywili was gunned down outside the home of a colleague he was dropping off in Zwide, after a day of campaigning.

Another Eastern Cape ANC ward candidate, Sibongile Mzanywa, died in a car accident a few weeks before the August election.

Both names remained on the election list and IEC results show that Dywili received 81.5% of the votes while Mzanywa received 67.2% of the vote.

IEC provincial spokeswoman Pearl Ngoza also said yesterday that a third ward councillor who won, Bonginkosi Nomagedeshe, of Port St Johns, had since died. In addition, the IEC has listed a second ward in Nelson Mandela Bay for a by-election on November 9.

Ward 14 (New Brighton/ Sydenham) was won by the ANC’s Duane Adams, a senior executive at the SA Revenue Service, but he cannot serve as he already has a full-time job.

ANC provincial executive committee member (PEC) Andile Lungisa, a fellow councillor in the metro, said yesterday that Adams had been mistakenly fielded and had resigned as a councillor.

In the newly merged Nkonkobe and Nxuba municipalities, Mlungiseleli Ndongeni was fielded as an ANC candidate for both Ward 10 and 11. He won both.

The party’s Amathole regional secretary Teris Ntuthu said Ndongeni did not even live in Ward 11 “and so we found it odd that the IEC election lists came back having his name in both wards”.

Leave a Reply