Twitter The Herald La Femme La Femme on Pinterest News Feed Breaking News

NPA to prosecute 23 for circumcision deaths

 

Twenty-three people will be prosecuted for the deaths of young men during last year’s initiation season in Mpumalanga, the NPA said on Tuesday (03/06/2014).

At least 30 boys died at seven initiation schools in Kwaggafontein, KwaMhlanga, Verena, Delmas, Siyabuswa, Belfast and Middelburg last year.

“The police acted swiftly by opening dockets and commenced with the investigations,” National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Nathi Mncube said.

The 23 would face a range of charges.

“In separate trials, four medical doctors, 18 traditional circumcisers and one circumcision principal stand to be tried on 24 counts of culpable homicide, two counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm and 12 counts of contravening… the Children’s Act.”

The act prohibits the circumcision of children below 16 and allows for the cirumcision of boys between 16 and 18 only in certain circumstances.

Inquests would be held in three of the deaths. – Sapa

;

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>