Timbuktu vandal begs forgiveness
Amalian jihadist sought forgiveness as he pleaded guilty yesterday to the 2012 attacks on the fabled city of Timbuktu, and urged Muslims not to follow such “evil” ways at his unprecedented war crimes trial.
“Your honour, regrettably I have to say that what I heard so far is accurate and reflects the events. I plead guilty,” Ahmad al-Faqi al-Mahdi said, becoming the first person to confess to the International Criminal Court, admitting the solo war crimes charge of cultural destruction.
Mahdi, aged about 40, is also the first Islamic extremist charged by the ICC, and the first charged with crimes arising out of the conflict in Mali.
The razing of the ancient shrines by jihadists triggered global outcry, and archaeologists hope the trial will send a stern warning that such plundering of our common heritage will not go unpunished.
The bespectacled Mahdi is accused of “intentionally directing attacks” against nine of Timbuktu’s famous mausoleums as well as the Sidi Yahia mosque between June 30 and July 11 2012.
Founded between the fifth and the 12th centuries by Tuareg tribes, Timbuktu’s very name evokes centuries of history and has been dubbed “the city of 333 saints” for the number of Muslim sages buried there.
Revered as a centre of Islamic learning during its golden age in the 15th and 16th centuries, and a designated Unesco world heritage site, Timbuktu was, however, condemned as idolatrous by the jihadists.
ICC prosecutors allege that Mahdi was a member of Ansar Dine, a mainly Tuareg movement that in 2012 took control of Timbuktu, some 1 000km northeast of Bamako, along with al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
Mahdi told the tribunal, based in The Hague, that he regretted the damage he had caused and was “really sorry”.
“I would like to seek the pardon of all the whole people of Timbuktu , ” he said.
He also begged forgiveness from “the ancestors of the mausoleums have destroyed”. Vowing he would never carry out such actions again, he sought to distance himself from the jihadists, describing their acts as “evil”.
“It is also my hope that the years I will spend in prison will be a source of purging the evil spirits that had overtaken me,” he told the court.
As the head of the “Hisbah” or the “Manners Brigade” he had ordered the shrines to be destroyed, prosecutors say.