Thai authorities know who was behind a wave of bombings that rocked tourist destinations and killed four people, a police spokesman said yesterday, although officials remained tight-lipped on the details of their probe.
At least two men have been held for questioning over the blasts in Hua Hin – a resort town struck by four of the bombs – and a third was arrested over a suspected arson attack in a separate province, police said.
“Our investigation is progressing. We know who was behind it,” deputy national police spokesman Piyapan Pingmuang said, but declined to provide further details on those detained or a possible motive.
A junta spokesman confirmed that multiple people had been questioned but stressed it was too early to identify them as suspects.
“It’s just asking questions. They will not be treated as suspects unless the questioning procedure is done and any of them are found to have violated laws. Then legal action may be taken against them,” Colonel Winthai Suvaree said.
At least 11 bombs and a series of suspected arson attacks ripped across seven southern provinces on Thursday and Friday, killing four people and injuring more than 30 people, including European tourists visiting the country’s beaches.
Some analysts suggest it was the work of Muslim rebels waging a long-running insurgency in Thailand’s southern tip.
Thai officials have dismissed that theory and also ruled out international terrorist groups, insisting the bombings were acts of “local sabotage”.
“We believe [the bombers] are still in Thailand,” deputy national police chief Ponsapat Pongcharoen said yesterday.
Analysts say the style of the bombings mirrors that used by separatists in the far south.
If the rebels are to blame, it would mark an unprecedented escalation of a 12-year revolt so far confined largely to the border region.