Port Elizabeth’s Queen Victoria statue vandalised

Picture: Eugene Coetzee/The Herald.
Picture: Eugene Coetzee/The Herald.

The statue of Queen Victoria, which stands in front of the public library in Port Elizabeth, has become the latest in a series of South African statues to be vandalised.

The statue was seen covered in green paint on Friday morning (10/04/15).

Several statues have been vandalised across the country this week including the Horse memorial in Port Elizabeth and an Anglo-Boer War memorial in Uitenhage.

The EFF has distanced itself from this specific case of vandalism. A party spokesman said they were not behind the green paint splashed on the statue.

This is a developing story. We will update this page as more information becomes available.

10 thoughts on “Port Elizabeth’s Queen Victoria statue vandalised

• April 14, 2015 at 10:17 am

I wont be surprised if all the comments below are made by Whites…

• April 13, 2015 at 7:34 am

A white man vandalized that statue. Its caught on camera.

• April 11, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Wow so does this mean I must put my statue of David behind glass……??????

• April 10, 2015 at 3:19 pm

As a mother and Grandmother in South Africa I am concerned about my childrens future in this Country. Is our youth of today not our future for tomorrow? And besides, you are humiliating the young people that gathers in my home, they really feel embarrassed by your deeds. And seeing I have started this, let me continue, You Nurses can leave your sick patients in hospital beds unattended, to do your marches and strikes, in my time we never did that, cause we have made an oath that our patients comes first. Is that oath still part of your training?
    And yes, go ahead, burn down all the schools, I would really like to know where your education would come from to run the country. Besides if you had any, you would not vandalise statues that is part of our Country’s History.

• April 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm

To the vandaliser of statues – make an effort to read up on the history of our country, South Africa. Then you will appreciate the country that we live in. Stop breaking everything, try to build up our beautiful country!!

• April 10, 2015 at 1:10 pm

These people that are doing this are really misinformed. I have never come across a country that has no history. To me these statues represent the past with its good and bad memories BUT are a reminder to us all that are here today not to repeat the bad stuff.

• April 10, 2015 at 10:09 am

Your silence on this and the other attacks on monuments is deafening, Mr President. As a white man, I’ve never felt so unwanted by my own countrymen, a sentiment silently endorsed by those in power it would seem. If there is such a movement to expunge any reminder of South African history pre-ANC, it is not too far fetched to believe that the final demand, the final cry, the ultimate goal would be to eradicate the white man from South Africa altogether. That is where this path leads, and it will be paved in blood.

• April 10, 2015 at 9:15 am

As a German living in the city I think this could be the end of tourism in PE. Many Europeans still come here to admire the architecture, memorials, parks and lovely old buildings. Are you cutting your nose to spite your face ?

• April 10, 2015 at 9:14 am

To the EFF, Port Elizabeth:

In connection with the destruction of the Horse Memorial and now the statue of Queen Victoria – well done. You are doing such a good job of destroying everything that the European has done for this country, including everything that he holds dear. If it weren’t for the European, there would not be a South Africa, or don’t you know any history at all? Don’t forget what a great time you are going to have destroying all the other symbols of European presence, after all, destroying is what you do best. Port Elizabeth has so much potential. What about the Donkin Reserve? What about bombing the Settler cottages (evil colonialists who rampaged through the Eastern Cape, raping and pillaging and destroying, and never ever did anything to build this country)? Then the Campanile, built to commemorate the aforesaid evil settlers, oh, and the 1820 Settler Memorial in Grahamstown, bomb the nasty European cathedral and university and those ancient private schools? Turn the whites off their farms, kill their animals, and burn the farmhouses down (you do this so well). Carry on the good work, dear EFF, destroy everything, schools, hospitals, roads, harbours until there is nothing left but dust. And perhaps, in time to come, if there are any Europeans left in this country, they will then start over again and re-build this country.