- Nelson Mandela Bay Splash Festival at Hobie Beach: About 20 Bay musicians will feature in the annual beachfront festival’s three-day line-up, with today’s performers on the Main Stage at Shark Rock Pier coordinated by DJ Zola of KQFM. There will also be Easter egg hunts, sand-castle competitions and comedians to keep families and children entertained.
Party starters Sdudla and Mathousand are up at 7pm while last year’s Idols winner Musa Sukwene will be on stage from 8 to 8.45pm. There will be other acts on the main stage from 4pm, while on the Coca-Cola stage at the food court (opposite the Beach Hotel) semifinals for a DJ competition will take place from 8 to 10.30pm.
- Michael Lowman at the Music Kitchen, 69 Mangold Street, Newton Park, at 8pm:
Durban-born singer-songwriter Lowman’s debut album Crayon Boxes has been nominated for a SA Music Award (Sama) for best adult contemporary album. Tickets are R40 at the door. Inquiries: (041)364-1964.
- Loyiso Bala, Word of Faith Christian Centre, William Moffett Expressway at 7pm:
This crooner, originally from Uitenhage, is performing as part of the Word of Faith Easter conference starting today. Tickets are R50 at Computicket. See page 10 for more information.
- Talent scouting by the Joburg-based Market Theatre, plus three stage productions, at the Little Theatre at the Athenaeum in Belmont Terrace:
The Market Theatre is hosting a two-day search for theatre groups to perform at the annual Zwakala Theatre Festival in Johannesburg later this year.
Today’s productions, which will serve as auditions, are open to the public for viewing and include The Closet (2pm), Eating Our Food (4pm) and Nimbandini (6pm). Tickets are at the door at R70 a day, or R100 for today and tomorrow. Block booking rates are also available. Inquiries: Xolisa, 073-274-7379.
- Splash Festival Main Stage entertainment programme coordinated by Algoa FM’s Kay Cee Rossouw:
Comedian Gino Fabbri will introduce up to 20 wacky personas on the main stage at Shark Rock Pier from 4 to 4.45pm. There will be live music from 11am to 10.45pm. Highlights include singer Faye Gatley at noon, the Spectrum Dance Crew at 1pm. and the Splash DJ competition finals from 6 to 6.45pm. There will also be entertainment on the Coca-Cola stage from 11am to 4.45pm.
The highlight of the weekend is the traditional fireworks display starting at 8pm.
- The ’90s Music Series, Kings Beach from 4pm:
Also linked to Splash is this event, with kwaito artists like Tokollo (TKZee), Thebe, Zola 7, Mdu Masilela, Metro FM’s Tbo Touch, and various Bay acts. Tickets are R100 (R300 for VIPs) at Computicket or at the gates.
- The Blues Broers at the Music Kitchen, 69 Mangold Street, Newton Park, at 7.30pm:
These Cape Town music legends are launching a new album, Into the Red, with a series of shows across South Africa. Tickets are R120 at the door. Inquiries: (041)364-1964.
- Day two of talent scouting by the Market Theatre, plus three stage productions, at the Little Theatre at the Athenaeum:
Audiences can look forward to Hungry Road (1pm), The Girls and Their Sunday Dresses (3pm) and Sheleni (5pm). Hungry Road, by New Brighton theatre group Keep the Dream, recently won Best Ensemble and Best Performer in Cape Town’s Baxter Theatre Zabalaza Theatre Festival. Tickets are R70 (all day) at the door. Inquiries: Xolisa, 073-274-7379.
- The Boardwalk Amphitheatre (today and tomorrow):
Award-winning Port Elizabeth-based EduPuppets have shows on the hour from 11am to 3pm. Entry is free. The company will stage their Fairy Hollow Puppet Show, and offer puppet-making workshops and face-painting.
- Splash final day, Hobie Beach from 11am:
The highlight on the Main Stage at the pier is jazz group Take Note, who will have the crowd doing the pata pata, but merged with their funky sound, from 8 to 8.45pm. Other standout acts include gospel sensation Andile B from 6 to 6.45pm. There will also be activities on the Coca-Cola stage opposite the Beach Hotel from 11am.
- Easter egg hunt at Richmond Park, Richmond Hill, from 11am to 2pm:
A family event for children aged seven to 15. Sweet treats on sale and prizes up for grabs.