A man has been shot dead in Helenvale but officials are unable to confirm whether the incident was related to ongoing protests in the area.
Eastern Cape health department spokesman Sizwe Kupelo confirmed that a 23-year-old man had died at Livingston Hospital after being shot in the neck and head in Helenvale.
However, he said they could not say this incident was related to the protests.
Two other males were injured.
A 24-year old was shot just below the eye and another in his 20s was shot in the hand.
“They were confirmed by emergency personnel to be part of the protest,” Kupelo said.
The situation in Helenvale, where residents have been protesting since Thursday morning, is still tense.
Earlier in the day, protesters threw stones and burnt tyres.
Nelson Mandela Bay EMS head Brenhan Metune said ambulances were unable to access Helenvale.
Police spokeswoman Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg is yet to issue a statement.