The Gauteng Department of Education has accused Parktown Boys’ High officials of failing to report that a staff member was suspected of sexually abusing 20 pupils.
“The matter was not formally reported to the department by the school,” department spokesman Oupa Bodibe said.
“Rather‚ the department became aware only after the issue became public.
“The failure by the school to report these serious allegations smack of an attempt to sweep them under the carpet.”
But school governing body chairman Nicholas Greyling said the department had been notified. “I’m not sure why the information wasn’t escalated up to him [Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi] because we definitely informed our district office the following day,” he said.
“We were even visited [by a district official] and a representative from the department.”
The 21-year-old accused, a water polo instructor, is a former pupil of the affluent school.
He appeared in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on March 1‚ when the case was postponed.
The suspect, who cannot be named until he has pleaded to the charges‚ was granted R3 000 bail in November.
He was allegedly caught in the act on a CCTV camera.