A convicted robber, on parole and on bail for other crimes, has been arrested again, within hours of breaking into a house in Central, Port Elizabeth.
The man, 33, who also lives in Central, is expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s court today.
The police will only name the suspect after he is formally charged in court.
His latest arrest comes after a detective saw him walking in a street close to where the robbery was reported a short while earlier on Monday.
The detective saw him after visiting the scene of the house robbery.
Police spokeswoman Colonel Priscilla Naidu said two men broke into the house in Clyde Street at about 5am.
“A man was sleeping when two men broke open the back door and entered the house,” she said.
“The 22-year-old heard them but, before he could act, the men grabbed a cellphone and fled out the back door.”
Naidu said detectives had been given a description of the robbers and started searching around the area.
“While searching for evidence and talking to nearby tenants and businesses, one of the detectives saw three men walking in Western Road,” she said.
The police searched the men and the stolen cellphone was allegedly found in one of the men’s pockets. He was arrested.
In a criminal check on the man, detectives found he was on parole for a robbery in Central.
“He is also out on bail for another business robbery in 2013,” Naidu said.