A provincial charge sheet has been prepared and will soon be served on terror-accused twin brothers Brandon-Lee and Tony-Lee Thulsie.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesman Luvuyo Mfaku said yesterday their case would be transferred to the high court.
The twins are expected to appear in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court today.
“The formalities will be finalised for the case to be transferred to the high court. There is a provisional indictment,” Mfaku said.
The state was given more time to build its case against the brothers in January.
The Thulsies‚ from Newclare‚ west of Johannesburg‚ were arrested on July 9 after their homes were searched by the police.
They face charges relating to terrorism‚ for alleged attempts to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State and alleged plans to attack US and Jewish interests in South Africa.
Prosecutor Chris Macadam had asked for the lengthy postponement in January‚ to consult the governments of the US‚ Britain‚ France‚ Kenya‚ Mozambique‚ Syria and Turkey‚ to gather further evidence.
The state alleges the twins had posted incriminating evidence on their social media accounts.
The defence had argued previously that the twins’ constitutional rights were violated when they were arrested and that their arrests were carried out prematurely.
However, magistrate Peter du Plessis found that their arrests had not been premature, as the state had received information alleging that the twins were planning attacks in South Africa and were flight risks.
The brothers were allegedly planning to travel to Syria‚ through Turkey and, in another alleged attempt‚ through Mozambique‚ to join the Islamic State.
Ibrahim and Fatima Patel‚ of the West Rand‚ who were arrested with the Thulsies‚ are on trial in the Kagiso Magistrate’s Court.