KwaZulu-Natal transport MEC Mxolisi Kaunda has called for a week of mourning after Easter weekend accidents killed at least 35 people in the province.
The latest of the horrific accidents involved two minibus taxis on the N2 near Port Shepstone on Monday night. Initially 10 people were reported dead‚ but the figure was revised on Tuesday morning to nine deaths.
That crash came just days after 14 people died when a bus overturned at Ntunjambili‚ near Kranskop Peak. The driver had lost control of the vehicle‚ sending the bus rolling down an embankment.
Kaunda was on the scene of Monday night’s crash‚ and had earlier in the day met with the families of those who died in the Ntunjambili crash.
“I had just returned from an emotional and sombre meeting with families of the victims of the Ntunjambili crash‚ which took place on Saturday. We are hardly coming to terms with the Saturday bus crash‚ but now have to face up to the loss of about the same number of people in two separate crashes involving multiple minibuses‚” Kaunda said.
“In this instance‚ we wish to appeal to drivers of mainly minibuses and buses‚ the mass movers‚ to remain calm‚ focused and strictly adhere to road traffic rules and signs. Their respect for road rules is certain to save people’s lives.”
Kaunda said it was vital that people drove safely‚ especially over busy periods.
“It is unacceptable that so many people would lose their lives on our roads. That is why we call for a week of mourning and to everyone to dedicate a few minutes of prayer to end the carnage on our roads‚” he said.