Hawks boss Ntlemeza is not at work – because he is on leave

Berning Ntlemeza
File picture: Trevor Samson

Former Hawks boss Berning Ntlemeza is on leave but will return to work next week‚ his lawyer Comfort Ngidi said on Tuesday.

“He is still on leave up until next week Monday‚” he said.

“The instruction that we have at the moment is that we proceed in terms of Section 18 of the Superior Courts Act … which deals with the suspension of a decision pending an appeal.

Ngidi said Ntlemeza would approach the Supreme Court of Appeal directly in a bid to appeal the decision of the High Court in Pretoria‚ which found his appointment as head of the Directorate of Priority Crimes invalid.

Police Minister Fikile Mbalula last week appointed an acting head of the Hawks‚ Ntlemeza’s deputy‚ Lieutenant-General Yolisa Matakata.

This was after the high court dismissed Ntlemeza’s application for leave to appeal its earlier ruling that his appointment be reviewed.

According to weekend reports‚ Ntlemeza refused to vacate the office and said only Parliament could remove him. He said he would remain in his position until 2022‚ when his term officially ends.

– TMG Digital/BusinessLIVE

Leave a Reply