The survivors of the Rhodes Park attack were wrecked by their partners’ murders and their gang-rapes.
This was the evidence of Pfurisah Baloyi‚ of the Ikhaya Lethemba victims centre‚ given in the South Gauteng High Court yesterday.
“These two [young women, Siphokazi Tyeke and Jabu Mbatha] were so wrecked, it was as if they had gone underneath a running train‚” Baloyi said.
On Tuesday, Judge Papi Mosopa convicted Thabo Nkala‚ Edmore Ndlovu and Mduduzi Mathibela on all charges against them – two counts of murder‚ two counts of rape and a count of robbery with aggravating circumstances.
They had pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The group gang-raped Tyeke and Mbatha shortly after their partners, Sizwe Tyeke and Zukisa Kela, were stripped naked, had their hands bound and were driven into the Johannesburg park’s dam‚ where they drowned, on October 17 2015.
Siphokazi and Sizwe Tyeke were from Port Elizabeth.
Baloyi said the survivors had been admitted to hospital several times because they were not coping. At times they were not even aware that they were in hospital.
The case continues.