Food safety training for frail care workers

The Nelson Mandela Bay municipality has embarked on a programme to train workers and kitchen staff at the Gelvan Park frail care centre on how to adhere to food safety and general hygiene standards.

Earlier this month, Nomatshayina Jucwa, 72, died and 58 others fell ill after having lunch at the centre.

It is believed that the cause of Jucwa’s death was food poisoning.

Municipal spokesman Mthubanzi Mniki said yesterday that samples from the facility were being tested again to ascertain the exact cause of the outbreak. A first test was inconclusive. He said, in the meantime, staff at the centre would be trained in food handling and general hygiene.

Deputy mayor Mongameli Bobani was also mobilising business to assist with equipment like stoves and fridges.

It is believed chicken and milk left unrefrigerated overnight on a makeshift counter in the temporary kitchen caused the outbreak.

Since then the centre has received donations of refrigerators.

At the time of the incident, the kitchen was being renovated.

The death of Jucwa was the second such incident at the centre in three years, after a similar fatal outbreak was reported in 2014.

Gelvan Park centre board chairman Dennis Bellairs failed to respond yesterday to questions about the new training programme.

Leave a Reply